Compare and contrast are one of the types of analysis. The compare and contrast thesis statement reveals two or more subjects in the aspect of their comparison. The purpose of the task is to investigate the issue, to identify differences and similarities, and to conduct their analysis. Sounds easy? However, you need to take into account the features that would not get into a slump.
The essay is your position, which you illuminate with the help of arguments and evidence. The introduction carries two important elements. The first is intrigue, interest, and desire to read further. The second is a clear and precise statement of your key thought. The opening part of the essay contains a thesis. This creates the basis for the development of your presentation in the future.
The basis of the compare and contrast essay lies in revealing the similarities and differences between the two subjects. The same principle should be applied to the formation of the thesis. If you do not know how to write a thesis driven compare and contrast essay, then this is an article for you.
Strong Compare and Contrast Thesis Statement
What makes a thesis strong? At first glance, the basis is the comparison that you designate in the thesis, but what next? A thesis is your main argument. Using a few simple tricks, your statement will not break through like a rock. Tips on how to make a strong thesis:
- Be bold. Do not overwrite the information from the prompt. Simply paraphrasing the words of the professor, you will not achieve the desired result.
- Argument. Every time you express your opinion ask: And so what? Add reinforcement to your thesis and do not leave a place for refutation.
- Be utterly specific. Let the reader be acquainted with the direction of your reasons and arguments. This means that you focus on those aspects of subjects that you will reveal in the essay.
- Reveal the significance. A thesis consists of 1-2 sentences. Put the value of your work. You need to define both the elements of the relationship between the two objects and their importance.
What Type of Compare and Contrast Thesis Should You Use?
There are two types of compare and contrast statement: explanatory and evaluative. Both of them correspond to the main goal – comparison. Depending on the requirements of the task and researched issue, you can use one type.
An explanatory thesis reveals a comparison of two subjects but does not accentuate the preference of one before the other. Your investigation and identification of the relationship between Object 1 and Object 2 will be interesting for the reader. This kind of thesis is great for comparing the topics that at first glance are absolutely incompatible.
For example, nature and architecture. Despite the fact that the topics are very different, it is possible to single out a similarity at a deep examination. Principles in architecture are similar to natural objects.
You can also focus on the differences. For example, the Bible and the Koran. Both of these books are the foundation of the two religions which is obvious. However, they contain a number of differences that may interest the reader.
An evaluative thesis in a comparative essay requires not only the analysis of differences and similarities but also provokes the author to take any side. You should appreciate the advantages of one approach over another. For example, the topic “Loose and Strict Constitution” and which one is better.
What is a Thesis Statement Template?This is the frame for your thesis. Knowing the algorithm of actions, you can create any thesis statement. It is enough to choose the principles of the construction and use the right one for you at any time. How does it work?
A template is a model for proposing a sentence in which you insert words related to the topic of your essay. You can practice in creating your own template and remember the most suitable for you. Look through the compare and contrast thesis statement example based on a template:
- The differences/similarities between Subject 1 and Subject 2 are determined, and they deserve investigation in such areas.
- Despite bearing some minor similarities, the differences between Subject 1 and Subject 2 are remarkable.
- While some differences between Subject 1 and Subject 2 are clear, the similarities are striking.
Remember, these are just basic examples of how to build a thesis sentence. You can easily change the words in italics to fit your topic. To create a stronger thesis, you need to develop the template with additional features of your comparison.
How to Organize a Compare and Contrast Thesis Statement and Topic SentenceThe topic sentence and the thesis sentence are the integral parts of any essay. However, the essence and predestination of them are different. How to distinguish one from another?
Difference between thesis statement and topic sentence:
- A thesis covers the whole idea of an essay. It`s your main argument and position. A topic sentence is one of a number of arguments that you use in a paper.
- The introduction contains a thesis. It acquaints the reader with the issue that you will disclose in the whole essay. The topic sentence is placed at the beginning of each paragraph and reveals its general content.
Let’s figure it out what is the relationship between the thesis statement and topic sentences. The success of an essay depends on the correct and close connection between the thesis and each of paragraph topics. A thesis is an assertion that requires confirmation. The rest of the essay’s filling should be aimed at maintaining the main idea. Thus, each paragraph provides arguments and evidence that the thesis is true. Look at the topic and thesis statement examples:
Thesis: Despite bearing some minor similarities, the differences between Romanesque and Gothic art movements are remarkable in the application of building structures.
Topic sentence: Gothic and Romanesque style use different types of arches, which determines the size of the windows in a building.
Topic sentence: Barrel vaults and Flying Buttress influence wall thickness.
Using tips and examples, you can write perfect compare and contrast essays. If you are experiencing difficulties and stuck with another academic paper, our specialists are ready to offer you any help. Make a few clicks and place your order for free. We conduct consultations on the issues you are interested in. Our experienced writers are ready to fill any amount of work in the shortest possible time. Do not wait until the last moment, order now.